Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Olympic Pin Friends (Big Ed)

As I have been writing blog entries over the past few weeks, and considering which pin(s) to highlight on a daily basis, I've had many pleasant flashbacks to prior occasions when I have met different people or had certain experiences in relation to pin trading. One such person, and one of my all time favorites, is Big Ed. If you have been involved in pin trading/collecting for any reasonable period of time, you probably know Big Ed. I first met him in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games (photo above is of Big Ed behind the counter at his pin trading both in the downtown Crossroads Mall in Salt Lake City). Big Ed is from Atlanta, and his personality is one of classic Southern hospitality. I have always found him to be a fair pin trader and a classy guy. Thus, I was really excited to again cross paths with Big Ed while at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. We were able to share a few prior pin trading memories and converse about the 2010 Olympic pins that we were both seeking. During our conversation, and since that time, I was reminded of the life-long friendships that can be made because of a bunch of little metal pins.

No comments:

Post a Comment