Saturday, October 8, 2011

2002 Monster.com Sponsor Hockey Pin

Produced by Monster.com with the web site's famous mascot adorned in hockey gear, this pin is from the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City. I recall that when I acquired this pin it was prior to the beginning of the 2002 Winter Games. When I would show my pin bag to other collectors for trading purposes, I was getting some insane offers for the pin--up to $100.00 USD. The offers were so high because no one that I met had ever seen the pin before. Yet, I was hesitant to trade the pin because I wanted to hold out for an equal, good value trade--maybe an NOC hockey pin. Also, I really liked the pin and I was worried that if I traded it I would never get one for my own Olympic hockey pin collection. However, I would soon learn a lesson during those Olympic Games, which were the first Olympics that I had ever attended in person. One day I was walking along the street and saw a commotion up ahead. As i made my way down the street I saw people crowded around a life sized Monster.com mascot that was passing out hands full of Monster.com Olympic pins--including the hockey pin that theretofore I had treasured as being next to priceless. Instantly, its value on the pin trading market plummeted as obtaining the colorful hockey pin became simple to do. Thus, I learned that the value of a pin trade can be greatly affected by when you trade. Lesson learned. Now, I would say that this pin has a value of $15.00 USD.

No comments:

Post a Comment