Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oh Canada!

The 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada were amazing. I spent five days at the Games, trading pins and taking in a few events. Along the way I of course saw all of the must-see Olympic experience sites . . . like the Olympic flame. I also saw six . . . yes SIX . . . hockey games. This site is about hockey pins after all, so you are of course dealing with a hockey nut. On February 18, 2010, my first full day in Vancouver, we started off by watching the USA and Norway play. Just being at the game, even before they dropped the first puck, was truly inspiring.
But there would be plenty of action in the game as well . . . like this goal scored by the good ol' U.S. of A.
That evening, I also saw my only non-hockey event, which was a curling match. Let me just say that it was not like anything you see on T.V. Curling is pretty wild. Curling fans are even wilder. But I don't think anything is much wilder than those pants . . .

Of course, there was plenty of Olympic pin trading in Vancouver. For a pretty hefty price, this guy was selling some very nice Russian NOC pins outside of the hockey venue on Day 3 of my trip (February 19th). And, yes, a couple days later I ultimately ended up with the Russian Hockey pin depicted in the photo.
Once inside the hockey venue, we saw Latvia and The Czech Republic in a pretty one-sided game . . . a 5-2 victory for the Czechs.
Later that day, literally from up near the rafters, we watch Finland destroy Germany (I think the final was 5-0, but whose counting).
On Day 4, February 20, 2010, we saw three hockey games including Norway v. Switzerland . . .
Slovakia versus Latvia (you've gotta love that hat!!!). . .
and Belarus v. Germany.
It was a great day of hockey, hockey and more hockey. And a whole lot of the Olympic spirit.
I LOVE THE WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment